A  A  A 

Quick Site Search

Skip to content

Site Search

Personal tools

Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Pay your rent

 Pay your rent

This information does not apply to you if you pay your rent directly into your co-operative’s own bank account

There are now several different ways you can pay your rent

To pay your rent by debit card using our secure online payment facility - click here

You can also pay by:

  • by Direct Debit
  • by cash or cheque using a rent payment card in a local shop or post office
  • over the phone using a debit card - call 03333 21 30 30
  • setting up a standing order with your bank

Although we would prefer you to use one of the above methods, you can also pay by sending a cheque to CDS Co-operatives


Direct Debit

Direct debit

If you have a bank account, the easiest and best way for you to pay your rent is by direct debit. We can send you a form or you can order one via the website. However, the easiest way to set up a direct debit is over the phone by calling our customer service centre on 0333 21 30 30.

CDS rent payment card

Rent payment card

Using your rent payment card, you can pay your rent at the Post Office, or at any PayPoint outlet (usually in shops and garages). Make sure you get a receipt! [Please note, we no longer use PayZone]

Debit card

If you have a debit card, you can pay your rent online or over the phone. Just call the Customer Service Centre on 03333 213030 and ask to be put through to the arrears control team.You will need to have your debit card when you call.

Monthly or weekly standing order

You can pay your rent by monthly or weekly standing order.  However, you may not need a form and you need to check your bank to see what their requirements are.


You can send a cheque to our head office at 7–14 Great Dover Street, London SE1 4YR. Please make your cheque payable to CDS Co-operatives unless you pay your rent directly to your own housing co-operative. Please write your name, address and tenancy number on the back of the cheque.

Housing Benefit

If you are entitled to Housing Benefit, payments will normally be sent straight to CDS Co-operatives.  However if your Housing Benefit is paid into your bank account, you will need to pay the full rent using any of the above methods.

Paying your rent

You must pay your rent and you must pay on time.You will lose your home if you do not pay your rent.If you live in an independent co-operative, your co-operative needs the money so they can run the organisation and provide services.

If you miss a payment you will fall into arrears.If this happens, you must contact your arrears control officer as soon as possible on 03333 21 30 30.  Do not delay letting us know you  are having problems paying your rent. We will give you help and advice so you can pay the outstanding rent. You will need to make an arrangement to clear any arrears. Remember, arrears can start off small when you miss the occasional payment but they build up quickly.

You should tell us as soon as your circumstances change, for example, if you lose your job.We will help you as much as possible to sort out all the benefits you will be entitled to.You should understand that you can be taken to court for not paying your rent.If you continue to fail to pay your rent, your co-op will get a court order for repayment or to repossess your home, or both.



7 - 14 Great Dover Street, London SE1 4YR. Customer Service Centre: 03333 21 30 30