All the information you need to ensure you renew ahead of the deadline
The deadline to renew your tax credits is fast approaching. You have until the 31st of July to renew your tax credits or your payments will stop. Tax credits help working families with targeted financial support and help support more than 2 million people across the UK. Unlike other benefits, you must renew your tax credits yearly and that is why it is vital that you make sure this is done ahead of the deadline on Wednesday.
What happens if I miss the deadline?
If you miss the deadline there is unfortunately not much that can be done and your payments will stop (unless you have a good reason for applying late). The acceptance of late applications is entirely at the discretion of HMRC so it is important that you don’t take the risk if you can avoid it. If you fail to reapply for your tax credits, and they do stop, then you will be unable to reapply for them in future years and instead will be required to apply for Universal Credit. In order to ensure that you apply in time and are able to access the credits you are entitled to, please have a look at the guidance below.
What do I need to know to renew my tax credits?
In order to renew your tax credits you will need to provide the HMRC with the following information:
- Your national insurance number
- Details about any changes to your circumstances (these could be changes to your family setup, employment status, or childcare costs). Click here for more information about what changes of circumstance you need to inform the HMRC about.
- The 15-digit reference number that came with your renewal pack.
- Your total income for the last tax year. If you are applying for tax credits with a partner then you will need to provide their total income too.
How do I renew my tax credits?
You can renew your tax credits online, over the phone or via post.
- To renew your tax credits online please use the HMRC’s online renewal service.
- To renew your tax credits over the phone please ring the tax credits helpline on 0345 300 3900
- To renew your tax credits via post you will need a Tax Credits Renewal Form. If you do not have a form then you will need to contact the tax credits helpline on 0345 300 3900
Where can I get more information about tax credits?
If you want to find out more about how to renew your tax credits then please have a look at the links below. Alternatively, contact our Welfare and Benefits Adviser, Maureen Bello, for more information and advice.